Friday 9 March 2012

Day 1 - 8th/9th March

I'm ashamed today hasn't been as magical as one would expect, I got upset at the airport, more than once.
I think it had only really hit that I'm going to be by myself for six weeks.

On the plane I was sat next to a really sweet Japanese guy that I guessed was around my age, however the only time there was conversation between us was me asking to get past him to the toilet and saying sorry for elbowing him :P Whoops! I know I was nervous about speaking to him (the first Japanese word I've said to a Japanese person was thank you, be proud!) and he was probably nervous speaking to me too, and then after a certain amount of time it would have been awkward starting conversation. But he was very nice ^-^

I did have a conversation with a bloke on the plane though when we were waiting for the toilet and I found out that he used to live in the city near me.

The food on the flight was simply amazing!!! we had Soy Sauce covered noodles and Edamane beans, a beef and stuffing type dish with mash and veggies, and a passion fruit and chocolate GU dessert, not two flavours I'd mix but it was nice enough. Dinner was a choice between pizza and sausage role (I went for the pizza, delicious again) and then an english breakfast before we landed.
However, the flight itself wasn't great as my seat didn't go back and my screen stopped working halfway through the flight. I did get some nice typical flight pictures though, the first was sunset and the second was sunrise.



The sunset was actually much prettier, the camera doesn't do it justice. The purple on the horizon was magnificent and the moon was an amazing deep red!

The Japanese airport was surprisingly easy to manoeuvre as I was met by friendly English speaking staff everywhere and it was quiet. One man was even dancing in front of me! I was just asked where I was staying and how long for, and you have to fill out some forms on the flight too, but it was all really quick.

When I finished that I went to the underground (access from inside the airport by the exit) and bought a Suica and N'EX deal. This is what my card looks like.


I just top that up with yen and swipe it over the machines, super handy ^-^

The underground was pretty easy to use too if you've used one before. I have experience with the London Underground so I got hang of it pretty quickly, and managed to make my way to my hostel, however the weather was pretty crummy and had to buy an umbrella.

Now when I got here I ended up getting upset again, I felt sick when I ate but I knew I had to, I was sweaty and uncomfortable from carrying my suitcase up stairs, I'd been up since 6:20am the previous morning and it was now 1:30pm Japanese time the next day without any sleep, and my stomach was playing havoc with me. So I had a shower which helped, but when I went downstairs to go onto the internet which wasn't working, and that just set me off again. I decided the best thing to do was get a bit of sleep, and after an hours sleep my laptop decided to be friends with me and worked.

But by this time it was getting dark outside, it was raining, I hadn't had a chance to look around, it was still raining and I felt really sick (a mix of hunger and nervousness). I decided the only thing I could do was to hope that someone at the hostel would be willing to point me in the direction of a place to buy some food, so  I went up to someone who I knew spoke english and was about my age and just said "I dont suppose you're travelling alone are you?" ... he was ^-^ I mentioned dinner and he said he was willing to come with me. I managed to squeeze in some rice, and it was just enough to stop me from feeling sick. So I'll now have friendly human contact for the next three days until I go on my tour and he goes to South Korea (jealous).

And that's about it, I should have expected to feel overwhelmed when I got here but I wasn't really expecting it. I think if t was sunny I would have just gone out for a walk, but we can't have it all :P

I'm glad that I seem to have the courage to speak to people and I'll happily ask for help. 
I have also had a broken conversation with three Japanese girls I'm sharing my dorm with and a Japanese guy speaking at me, I don't think he realised that we couldn't understand him.
I just hope that the weather picks up and I become a lot more comfortable with things such as which foods I will and wont like, and speaking to more people ^-^ But I think I'm going to be ok!!

No comments:

Post a Comment